A Blind Horse’s Recovery

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.28.40 PM

Owning a horse has been the most joyful experience but what happens when tragedy strikes to your beloved animal? I have trusted Palm Beach Equine for 10 years to oversee the health and wellness of my beloved mare Ellie. But early this year she had an accident.. Read More..

by Ashley P. & Horse Ellie

posted 9/1/2016

PBEC and Beau

In 1989 I was not in a very good place in my life. My family was concerned. In an effort to
provide better and healthier options for my time and attention they arranged for me to acquire a “free
to good home” horse. His name was “Beau”, a 12 year old bay Arabian gelding. Read More…

Beau pic PBEC

by Ruth Haggerty

posted 9/1/2016

Palm Beach Equine Saved Our Foal From Death


In July of 2015 I received a frantic phone call from my non horsey Husband. He said our 5 day old Icelandic foal had collapsed in the pasture what should he do. I was out of town visiting our new Granddaughter while he was alone with the Mare and foal. Read More..

by Lisa Loewenberg

posted 9/1/2016

Wolfi Gets Back to Work with the Help of Palm Beach Equine Clinic

Wolfi and Ryan Lukens ed

As one of the nation’s premier equine medical centers, Palm Beach Equine Clinic (PBEC) strives to provide the very best care for every client. Treating equine athletes requires a great deal of dedication from the veterinarian; each time a horse recovers from a difficult prognosis, the hard work pays off. In the case of Wolfi, the perseverance, expertise, and compassion of PBEC’s top veterinarians gave a talented horse a second chance at his career after several challenging months of treatment.

Susan Feeney is the proud owner and companion to Wolfi for the past seven years. She purchased the Oldenburg gelding when he was five years old and competes with him in the Adult Amateur Dressage divisions. Susan and Wolfi previously lived in Madrid, Spain, until a decision was made to relocate to the United States. Susan wanted to give her children the opportunity to experience life in a great town in the U.S., and she wanted to continue to train and compete Wolfi through the ranks in top equestrian venues. Wellington was the perfect place to meet both requirements! During August of 2015, the entire family, including Wolfi, two kids, three dogs, and a cat, all moved to Wellington, FL. Unfortunately, after the long journey overseas, Wolfi experienced multiple injuries upon arrival to their new life.

Following the long trip, Wolfi cut his leg getting out of the trailer in Wellington, and it became infected due to Wolfi’s weakened immune system. That is when Susan and Wolfi first met Palm Beach Equine Clinic’s veterinarian, Dr. Ryan Lukens.

Dr. Lukens treated the wound successfully, but more problems followed. In September, Wolfi pulled back on the crossties and injured his right hind leg, creating two deep puncture wounds and a large, deep bone bruise. That injury resulted in bone sequestrums, which is dead bone tissue occurring within an injured bone. The sequestrums kept Wolfi’s wounds from closing properly and resulted in further infections.

Wolfi underwent four surgeries in five months performed by PBEC’s Head Surgeon Dr. Robert Brusie. Progress was made after each surgery, but the wounds continued to abscess, requiring additional, more aggressive treatment each time. After his fourth and final surgery, Wolfi required almost daily visits from Dr. Lukens and others at PBEC to manage his post-operative recovery.

1 IMG_3076 post surgery 12 IMG_3097 more bone dying, mounting infection and dehiscence of sutures after surgery 1

Wolfi’s injury post surgery one (left), followed by more bone dying,
mounting infection and dehiscence of sutures after the first surgery (right)

3 IMG_3284 How good it looked post surgery 2, before abscess formed4 IMG_3374 Post surgery 3

Wolfi’s injury post surgery two before a serious abscess formed (left),
and pictured again following surgery number three (right).

5 IMG_3452 5 months after initial injury. (About 3 weeks after final surgery surgical flushing)6 IMG_3527 6 months after original puncture injury

Wolfi’s injury five months after initial injury – about three weeks after final surgery
surgical flushing (left), and again six months after original puncture injury (right)


Wolfi’s injuries could have easily ended his career, but the steadfast chestnut gelding is now on the mend thanks to the wonderful care he received from the veterinarians and staff with Palm Beach Equine Clinic.

Going above and beyond for his client, Dr. Lukens also helped Susan and Wolfi find a new farm where Wolfi could be turned out in a large paddock as he healed from his injuries. A show horse that is often nervous and not accustomed to the pasture lifestyle, Wolfi now happily lives on a quiet farm in Loxahatchee. He is recovering well, enjoying his new life, and slowly being introduced back to work.

Susan stated, “On the morning of his third surgery, he was waiting in a stall in front of the paddocks and watching the horses being turned out. He was so nervous. My heart broke seeing him looking at them and knowing what he was facing again only six weeks from the second surgery. I promised him that if he made it through, I would find a place to be able to give him a paddock. I was really happy that Dr. Lukens could help me fulfill my promise to him. He is back in work and getting stronger every day – and could not be happier with his new life and expert care from Palm Beach Equine Clinic!”

Dr. Lukens, Dr. Brusie, and the whole team at Palm Beach Equine Clinic are so happy that they were able to get Susan and Wolfi through their difficult time and consider it a privilege to have great horses and owners to work with.

A kind note from Susan Feeney to Palm Beach Equine Clinic:

“I wanted to thank all of those involved in his care (many over the months). Neither my horse nor I were always easy patients…him avoiding being given more medicine…and me just not being able to deal with any worse news as the months went on. But, Dr. Lukens did a great job on a very complicated case. Always professional yet empathetic….he led us through one hurdle after another looking for solutions and drawing on all of the resources available at the clinic to get him to the other side. He went really above and beyond and truly provided integrated care trying to do everything in his power to get my horse through and back on track.

 Going through four surgeries in such a short period of time was devastating, but Dr. Brusie, consistent with his reputation, was great. He was patient with pushy questions about the use of alternative approaches from someone that didn´t know anything…and supportive in follow-up calls and care.

 I´m sure you have thousands of clients – I just wanted you to know that with this one and the horse she loves probably too much…I could not be happier with the care and service provided by Dr. Lukens and the Palm Beach Equine Clinic!

 Kind Regards,


posted 7/18/16

In Memory of Talis


13315711_1723742347883889_7151340310449478550_n copy


Hello to all at PBEMC. We wanted to thank all of you for the wonderful card, bracelet and keychain honoring the loss of Talis. We were so touched by your love for her and the wonderful care she received. It was a great comfort to all of us here at Runnymede knowing she was in such a nurturing and supportive environment. We miss Talis so much – but know every avenue was explored to try and save her – and we thank you for that.

Thanks again for the kind condolence card, which you all signed. We were genuinely touched and grateful.

With Much Respect,
Blythe, Gene and AJ of Historic Runnymede Farm

posted 6/30/2016


Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 9.33.10 PMScreen Shot 2015-11-10 at 9.28.36 PM

Hi, my name is Moon; I am a 29 year old quarter gelding with lots of life to live. In May of 2015, I had a serve case of reflux and a blockage in my Duyludem. Thanks to Dr. Kathleen Timmins quick action and emergency care I was taken to the Palm Beach Clinic for care. With further diagnose it was determined that surgery was necessary. Surgeon Dr. R. Brusie and Dr. CJ Caniglia performed the successful surgery. Dr. Timmins your constant care and the clinic’s professional hands of the IC Clinic help my recovery was complete. Thank you to everyone, because of you, I am enjoying retirement. Dr. K. Timmins your compassion, encouragement, dedication, and professionalism were a constant positive to this very life threating situation. Moon has a strong constitution and is a fighter, in his day his accomplishments include Western Pleasure, Trail, Hunt Seat, and Dressage, he deserved a chance.   Surgeons Dr. Brusie, Dr. Caniglia, and Dr. Timmins, performed the surgery, and Moon came through the surgery successfully. The professionalism, cooperation, and team work of the veterinarians and the constant care of the IC Stall staff are exceptional. The recovery barn ran like a hospital with 24 hour, 7 days a week care and monitoring of the vitals and issuing of medication. Everyone at the clinic was helpful, professional, and caring from the girls in the barn to the receptionist in the office. Thank you all for your support.   I highly recommend the Palm Beach Equine Clinic for all care of our equine friends   Elaine WolfPS: Moon and I will be trail riding and enjoying our retirement.

posted 11/19/2015

OTTB Gets a Second Chance at New Career Thanks to PBEC

Palm Beach Equine Clinic is renowned for its exceptional care of performance sport horses of all disciplines around the world. Sometimes, the veterinarians and surgeons have the opportunity to treat the horses owned by their colleagues. This summer, PBEC veterinary technician Megan O’Neal experienced the clinic’s surgical expertise firsthand when her rescued off the track Thoroughbred was diagnosed with severe spinal impingement.

O’Neal adopted Blessing, a ten-year-old mare, almost three years ago. After Blessing’s career on the track ended, she was given to Pure Thoughts Horse Rescue in Wellington, FL. Blessing had moved through a few foster homes before O’Neal gave her a forever home. Blessing had been successfully jumping three-foot courses with one of her previous foster homes. After adopting Blessing, O’Neal was jumping the mare as well, but only about two-feet high. She had plans to compete, but Blessing’s behavior changed under saddle. The mare began rearing and bolting, endangering both herself and her rider. Her attitude on ground handling turned sour as well, no longer enjoying to be groomed and pinning her ears in agitation.

With the help of staff surgeon Dr. Weston Davis and the excellent imaging technology available at PBEC, O’Neal was able to pinpoint the cause of Blessing’s troubling change in behavior. The diagnosis was severe chronic back pain with dorsal spinous process impingement (kissing spine lesions). The vertebrae in her back from T16 – L1 were affected, which is the mid-section of the horse’s back, in the general region of where the back of the saddle sits.

1001.1001 - FLEX LAT STIFLE (1)8.1 - U_Thoracic spine_left LAT

The first course of action was to try several non-surgical techniques to treat Blessing’s pain. Dr. Davis tried treatments of intramuscular injections for arthritic pain and corticosteroid injections in between the spinal vertebras. A veterinary chiropractor adjusted the mare every few weeks. For almost eight months, several additional methods were tried to avoid surgery including acupuncture, back stretches and oral muscle relaxants. In July, when the pain continued after all their efforts, O’Neal finally decided that surgery was the only option for recovery.

In the state-of-the-art hospital at PBEC, Blessing was sedated to obtain pre-operative radiographs that map the exact site of the lesions. She was placed under general anesthesia and the surgical site was sterilely prepared. Dr. Davis made a single 20cm incision on the dorsal midline over the palpable dorsal spinous processes. Eighteen-gauge needles were inserted at regular intervals and used as radiographic markers to identify the interspinous spaces. The incision was extended through the supraspinous ligament at each site. Dr. Davis used sterile surgical equipment, known as a bone rongeur, to elevate the soft tissues and resect some of the affected dorsal spinous processes (DSPs). The rongeurs, which are similar to large pliers, were used to slowly remove the edges of the overriding bone. This process frees the space between adjacent vertebrae until widened enough that the index finger of the surgeon could easily pass in the interspinous space. The site of resection was lavaged to remove any loosed tissues. Lastly, Intra-operative radiography was used as needed to confirm location and completion of the surgery. Following confirmation, the supraspinous ligament was internally closed with absorbable sutures. The skin was closed with surgical staples and a stent was sutured in place over the incision. After several weeks of healing, the stent and staples were removed.

6.1 - U_Thoracic spine_left LAT

The surgery was performed without complication and Blessing was provided a good prognosis. Soon after surgery, the space that was created between vertebrae filled with a non-painful, fibrous scar tissue. Blessing went home the following day after surgery. She was monitored closely at home and received routine peri-operative antibiotics (gentamicin and penicillin) and anti-inflammatories (phenylbutazone) for pain. Recently, O’Neal was given the okay from Dr. Davis to resume riding for normal exercise. O’Neal looks forward to continuing her partnership with this special mare. Thanks to Dr. Weston Davis and the team at Palm Beach Equine Clinic for their exceptional care to get Blessing back to happy and healthy!

posted 10/26/2015


To Dr. Kathleen Timmins, PBEC Vets and Staff,

Just a note to say how much you are appreciated! As horse ownership dictates, we had to go out of town in Oct and my Big Mac was lame as could be. You came out numerous times, diagnosed and treated, wrapped and re-wrapped and pretty much treated the big baby as if he were your own! To top it off, my 24 yr old gelding coliced and you hustled out to save the day again! We texted back and forth about all their issues and you said (I will never forget) “DON’T WORRY”- I breathed a sigh of relief, and didn’t! I have used many vets from PBEC over the past 25 years and you, Kathleen, have a special place in my heart! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys ROCK, thank you for always being there for my fat, backyard, lawn ornaments! Best wishes, Kathy Baker

posted 9/2/2015

‘Mintz’ Gets Back in the Game After Rare Ovarian Tumor

mintz 2

When Dr. Carl Gittens noticed that his Thoroughbred mare, Mintz, was acting unusually aggressive towards other horses, he knew there must be an underlying cause to her behavior. Gittens, a human physician, is an amateur polo player with a string of horses at his farm in Stuart, FL. He bought six-year-old Mintz two years ago and, until recently, she had always been a gentle horse.

“She began mounting the other mares, and one day I brought two mares from Wellington back to my barn and she went crazy,” Gittens detailed. “She was banging on the door, kicking, all kinds of things just like a stud would do and I really thought she was going to hurt herself. I finally decided that it had to be taken care of. She became very violent and it was a bad situation.”

“I had her for a year and half when it happened,” Gittens added. “She is an excellent horse; she never had any problems. My groom rides her more than I do and he just loves her. When he found out what was happening, he said we had to do something because we could not afford to lose this horse.”

Dr. Gittens consulted his primary veterinarian, Dr. Paul Bryant, who began investigating hormonal causes of the behavior change. He performed a rectal palpation and trans-rectal ultrasound examination for evaluation of her ovaries and uterus. Mintz had a severely enlarged left ovary on palpation with an abnormal “honeycombed” appearance on ultrasound. Dr. Bryant suspected an ovarian tumor and referred her to the team at Palm Beach Equine for evaluation and surgical removal of the left ovary.


Palm Beach Equine Clinic received Mintz on May 20, 2015. Under the expert care of Dr. Weston Davis and the team at PBEC, she underwent surgery to remove the left ovary. The surgery was performed with Mintz standing, using a minimally invasive key-hole surgical technique called laparoscopy. She was sedated for the procedure and pain management was performed with a combination of intravenous medications, an epidural, and local anesthesia of the skin, abdominal musculature, and ovary. The enlarged left ovary was visualized laparoscopically and the vasculature ligated using electrocautery instruments. The ovary was then removed entirely through a small flank incision. The gross appearance of the enlarged and distorted ovary was consistent with the granulosa/thecal cell tumor type. Immediately after the procedure, Mintz was walked to her stall and allowed to resume her normal diet when she was awake.


Dr. Davis explained that a granulosa/thecal cell tumor is a spontaneous occurrence that is relatively rare in horses. It is the most common type of ovarian tumor in mares, and almost always benign. Because of the variety of cell types involved and the hormone production that may ensue, these horses may have symptoms ranging from failure to cycle to nymphomania to stallion-like behavior.

Mintz was given a good prognosis and recovered nicely from the surgery. After a few days of antibiotics and several weeks of restricted activity (stall rest), she was cleared for light exercise and she had no further episodes of abnormal behavior. With a busy work schedule, Dr. Gittens has not ridden her yet, but looks forward to getting back on the field soon. Mintz has been exercising with her groom, and Gittens plans to play her in Wellington this month.


Awesomendensome Returns to the Races

Awesome Win Photo
In the beginning of 2014, Thoroughbred breeder Chester Bishop had high hopes for his homebred filly Awesomendensome. ‘Awesome’ won her very first race as a two-year-old at Gulfstream Park that May and started in two more races in June and July. Just when her career was beginning to take off, the filly came up lame one day after training.

Dr. Joeseph Zerilli, a well-respected racetrack veterinarian, examined Awesome at the track. He diagnosed her with an apical fracture of the lateral sesamoid bone – a bone at the back of the ankle, which is part of the articulating joint surface and also a crucial component of the suspensory apparatus. His radiograph is pictured with an arrow pointing to the fracture line. The filly was then referred to the expert team at Palm Beach Equine Clinic for surgical management. What could have been a career-ending injury would be treated with a minimally invasive surgery to get the filly back to top athletic performance as soon as possible.

Read more


Tuny Page show pic-1

“Richard Wheeler is a fine veterinarian with great depth of experience and super instincts. On top of that, he communicates beautifully with me as the client and my grooms as my horse’s managers. Dr. Wheeler is very secure in his positions about diagnosis and treatment of the horses, which allows him the ability to communicate openly with other veterinarians and therapists. This works particularly well when I am traveling with the horses and need to have open communication between other veterinarians and Dr. Wheeler. Dr. Wheeler has always treated my staff with the respect and integrity they deserve and the result is tremendous trust within our team. The most important recommendation for Dr. Wheeler is, quite simply, that my horses are happy, healthy and sound,” -Tuny Page


From Alicia Keen and her horse “22”

Thank you Weston Davis and Palm Beach Equine for all of your hard work and dedication to put this colt where he is today. After 12 long weeks of rehab from a bad infection in his fetlock he is back to doing what he loves. I can’t begin to thank you enough. You guys are the best!
Thanks a million, you are truly the best at what you do. Above and beyond!
“22” (Hot Check Mario 110)



From Jerry Scott and his horse “Red Floyd”

Thank you Dr. Weston Davis!


“Red Floyd has been my #1 rope horse for over 12 years.  We have won many buckles and saddles as well over $100,000 for my partners and me.  Like many equine athletes, Red developed soreness in his hocks.  I was able to manage his pain with injections for several years.  Eventually, however, it became no longer possible to continue with injections.  His hocks were not fusing and chemical fusion was not an option for Red.  I began researching alternative methods for hock fusion and had discussions with different veterinarians.  Hearing about a fairly new procedure being performed by Dr. Hague in Lawton, Oklahoma, my vet, Dr. Liz Steele, contacted him about this procedure and learned of Dr. Weston Davis of Palm Beach Equine in Wellington, Florida.   Dr. Davis was equipped to perform this procedure at the clinic and Dr. Hague highly recommended  him.  I scheduled the surgery which was successfully performed on April 10th.
I am happy to report that Red Floyd has made an amazing recovery.  After following a strict 72 day exercise regimen, he is about to return to normal turn-out and activity.  Thanks to Dr. Davis, I have my roping partner back!”

Update from 7/3/14:
“I roped 5  steers the other evening on Red Floyd.   Spur of the moment,  no tie down.  5 duallys and he never bobbeled.  I didn’t set him down hard, kept him moving slightly forward.  I will be using him at a jackpot in Texas on the 19th.  Been riding him everyday.”

The Miracle Horse: Artemide d’Ecaussinnes:

Brusie surgery Pessoa horse

Article posted in the Weekly Wire at the 2014 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival:

The Miracle Horse: Artemide d’Ecaussinnes

By Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.

Owning a horse comes with a degree of uncertainty and worry. If your horse has a traumatic accident, sometimes the very best you can hope for are swift care and an eventual recovery. For show jumping legend Nelson Pessoa, seeing his horse Artemide d’Ecaussinnes with a severe trauma in the ring was a shock. But what came afterward surprised him even more.

Pessoa purchased Artemide d’Ecaussinnes, an eight-year-old BWP gelding, at the beginning of the year. The young horse showed at the FTI WEF with Pessoa’s rider, Stephan Barcha, and another junior rider, Joao Victor Castro. “It’s a horse that shows a lot of promise, to be a nice horse for speed classes or a junior horse. It’s a horse with a wonderful character,” Pessoa said.

Artemide’s trajectory changed in the blink of an eye on Friday, January 31, in the DeNemethy Ring in a 1.40m class. With Castro riding, the pair had a miscommunication at an oxer and landed on the standard. In a freak accident, the wood sheared from the attached metal strip holding the jump cup, which then went into the horse’s stomach. Luckily, horsemen on the side of the ring and the jump crew reacted quickly to be at the horse’s side, and the horse’s groom, Waldeci da Silva ran from the in-gate to help keep Artemide’s organs inside his body. In the gruesome accident, it was the quick thinking of these individuals that helped save his life.

“It was just really bad luck, it wasn’t anybody’s fault,” Pessoa recalled. “The horse was looked after really quickly. The staff from the show grounds was really good. They made the necessary decisions to help him.”

Those helping in the ring had the unenviable job of holding Artemide’s intestines to keep a bad situation from turning worse. Dr. Hillary Clayton was there shortly to start bandaging the horse, and

the Palm Beach Equine Clinic was quick to react as well, bringing the equine ambulance in immediately to transport Artemide less than a mile away to Palm Beach Equine Clinic (PBEC), where he went into surgery with no delay. All in all, only 30 minutes elapsed from the time of the accident to when Artemide went into emergency surgery.

The surgery was led by Dr. Robert Brusie and Dr. Weston Davis of PBEC, which has three Board Certified surgeons. Dr. Brusie praised the quick thinking of fellow competitors, the DeNemethy Ring jump crew Rafael Rios, Cesar Morales, and Steven Sarmiento, as well as da Silva. “I called (horse show manager) David Burton and told him his people did a fantastic job keeping (the horse) quiet. That injury is really painful, with intestines out of his abdomen. The horse was panicky all the way over here until we anesthetized him, with extreme pain. I was really pleased with the way everything worked. We rehearse these kinds of things, (but) we mainly have fractures, ruptured tendons, as injuries. We do have drills before the season with the ambulance driver. It paid off. Nothing was a surprise, and nobody wondered what to do next. It’s being ready and prepared.”

When Dr. Brusie and Dr. Davis performed the surgery, they were pleased to see that while it was a traumatic injury, there were no vital organs pierced and that the horse’s bowel only had a tear in the section outside of the horse’s abdomen. A second incision was made in the horse’s abdomen to help facilitate the surgery. “We were really fortunate with that guy,” Dr. Brusie remembered. “We ended up taking out about two feet of intestine. He broke a couple of ribs (too).”

“It was good luck for us that the (Palm Beach Equine) Clinic is very close,” Pessoa said. “Dr. Brusie did an unbelievable job.”

Artemide’s miraculous recovery is the combination of quick thinking and amazing care at Palm Beach Equine Clinic, but Pessoa believes the horse’s mindset is what solidified his chances of recovery. “One important point is that the horse is an unbelievable patient. Two hours after he was back in the stable, he wanted to eat and he was drinking. We were waiting for an infection or a temperature, but he had no temperature. It was like it was just a little cut. Twenty-four hours after the surgery, the horse was looking like nothing happened with him,” he explained. Dr. Brusie agreed, “It’s a really good temperament horse. It took a lot of courage for him to stand there and not thrash around. He’s a good horse.”

Artemide is currently getting back in shape by walking on a treadmill. Dr. Brusie compared his situation to colic surgery, where after 10 days recovering at PBEC, he went home, and he can be ridden again 30 days after surgery. Artemide will continue his recovery at Eagle Tree CEM Quarantine with Marilou N. de Azúa until he is fully recovered, where he can get round-the-clock care and supervision.

Pessoa expressed, “They said it was a miracle. I really want to say for everybody that has a horse here at this horse show, this clinic is something. You hope things like this won’t happen, but for sure with the number of horses and the amount of jumping here, things like that happen sometimes. It’s a great thing to have this support. People don’t always realize this – we realize now because it happened to us. I’m very grateful for them.”

Along with Drs. Brusie and Davis, Pessoa also gave thanks to Dr. Jorge Gomez and Dr. Selena Passante, his treating veterinarians, along with “the staff, the jump crew from the horse show, they saw the situation and helped save the horse.”

“We had no idea whose horse it was; we just had to save his life,” said Dr. Brusie. “This horse was meant to live. I was amazed neither one of those sites had any infection after we were done. It was meant to happen, and he was meant to live.  It was a good feeling and a day when it was good to be a veterinarian.”


Thanks to the amazing surgeons and staff (surgery performed by Dr. Bob Brusie) at Palm Beach Equine Clinic, my mare Gem is back in work and better than ever! 3 Years sound and we are jumping a 2 foot 6 wall at a Hunter Pace in Gainesville Fl where I live for school. Thanks PBE! 😀

Gina Nichole Pisz



The Story About Feather


Read full story with pictures
Horse Falls in Swimming Pool

A horse jumped a fence on its property and ended up in its owners’ swimming pool Tuesday afternoon in Loxahatchee.

“He was treading water for a little while, trying to get up the little hill in the pool,” said Dr. Janet Greenfield, a veterinarian with Palm Beach Equine Clinic.

She and Dr. Tyler Davis injected a mild sedative to relax Andy and then used a rope and some mats to get him to the shallow end of the pool where he could stand.

Saving Horse Pool

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue’s special operations team took it from there. They attached a harness to Andy and then used a tow truck to lift him out of the pool.

“It’s a beautiful thing when everything comes together,” District Chief Doug McGlynn said.

Greenfield said Andy escaped unscathed.

“He has taken several steps and seems to be walking alright,” she said. “He is in good health, not a scratch on him actually.”

Watch Video



Dear Dr. Brusie,

Just a short note to impress what I hope I have been able to communicate to you by phone. We can’t thank you enough for your talent and kindness in caring for Bonaparte.

He is a beloved member of our family and we feel fo fortunate the he was in your hands when he was in dire straits.

Bonaparte looks great these days and acts as if nothing ever happened.

With Many Thanks.


Dear Janet Greenfield-Davis,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to teach our precious summer camp children. They loved your presentation.


Shelly La Conte- Horse Tales Literacy


We are sending our appreciation to all the vets and the office staff that so garciously spent the last year and half trying to keep Bandit fit-n-healthy. All of my calls were answered so quickly! Thank you for all your thoughts and Prayers. We thank God for each day we had with Bandit and for all of the staff at the clinic!

Ed, Lorie, Stac, and Brad


Thank you all for taking such good care of my boys all these years. You were all so helpful during a difficult time. Holland and I miss Red but I will always cherish the memory of him and thank you again for making his passing peaceful.

Joanne Turner


Dear Dr. Laas and Dr. Greenfield,

I want to thank you very much for the wonderful service you all provided during our stay in Florida at Vinceremos and the Jim Brandon facilities. It is wonderful to know that we can rely on such expert service if we ever travel to your are again.

Best Regards,

Kim Decker and Dasher


Dear Dr. Brusie,

Thank you for the care you gave to my Truly Special Dee. I admire you and your work on all my horses and I know you always do your best to make them better. Thank you for everything.


Briana Cintron


Dear Scott,

You are a “Superhero”. Thank you so much for all the you do for Vinceremos. We are so lucky to have you involved in the organization. Our horses talk all the time about you and your team and how happy they are to have you care for them. Everyday we meet our new challenges with gentle determination and share even the smallest successes. These moments are only possible thanks to your generous support.

Thank you Scott for all that you do!

Kindest Regards,

Susan Guinan- Vinceremos Therapeutic Riding Center