Palm Beach Equine Clinic proudly offers internal medicine services lead by board-certified internal medicine specialist Peter Heidmann, DVM, DACVIM. Internal medicine includes the detailed assessment and treatment of a wide variety of diseases affecting the organ systems. Going beyond standard veterinary care, Palm Beach Equine Clinic is able to identify the root of subtle changes in a horse’s health or performance with internal medicine evaluations and diagnostic procedures.
Equine Internal Medicine
Services and Procedures:
- Endoscopy: upper and lower respiratory, gastric, urinary, and reproductive systems
- Neurologic exam: immunologic testing, spinal fluid testing, myelograms
- Ultrasound: cardiac (echocardiology), thoracic, liver, kidney, tendon, ligament, and joint exams
- Oncology: Skin tumors, internal cancer diagnostics
- Neonatal 24-hour care
- Infectious Disease Diagnostics
- Infectious Disease Management: Prevention and Control of Disease on Farms
- USDA Approved Quarantine Center
Areas of Expertise:
- Allergies and Immune System Diseases
- Dermatology (Skin Diseases)
- Endocrinology (Diseases of the Endocrine System)
- Gastrointestinal Conditions
- Infectious Disease and Disease Prevention
- Neurologic Conditions (Diseases of the Brain Stem and Nervous System)
- Muscular Diseases
- Oncology (Cancerous Conditions)
- Renal Diseases
- Upper and Lower Respiratory Conditions (Diseases affecting the lungs)
Comprehensive Evaluation Packages
Understanding why a talented prospect may be coming up short is a problem that our veterinarians are determined to find the answers to and solutions for. Identifying the root of subpar performance in any equestrian discipline can be accomplished through detailed examinations. Palm Beach Equine Clinic provides the following internal medicine diagnostic packages that include the assessment and treatment recommendations.
Comprehensive Respiratory Evaluation:
- Upper Respiratory Tract and Bronchoscopy
- Bronchoalveolar Lavage and Cytology
- Lung Imaging: Ultrasound/Radiography
Comprehensive Neuromuscular Evaluation:
- Minimally Invasive Muscle Biopsy
- Micronutrient Assay
Comprehensive Cardiac Evaluation:
- Echocardiogram (Cardiac Ultrasound)
- Cardiac Troponin Assay
Comprehensive Gastrointestinal Evaluation:
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Microbiome Assay
Palm Beach Equine Clinic boasts a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) approved quarantine center to provide an isolated setting for patients with infectious diseases.
Isolation stalls enclose each horse in their own environment with individualized airflow systems and biosecurity measures. Each stall has its own designated area where medications are prepared, equipment is stored, and dirty bedding is handled. PBEC takes every precaution available to protect against potentially spreading disease, including foot baths before entering stalls and after leaving, wearing personal protective equipment (medical masks, gowns, and gloves), and designating teams of a doctor, technician, and intern to each patient for the duration of their stay.
Infectious Disease Management
Dr. Heidmann and the team at Palm Beach Equine Clinic have extensive experience developing comprehensive strategies to minimize the risk of infectious equine diseases become established in a facility. We have advised farms, Universities, showgrounds and many other private farms and facilities on preventing the spread of disease and keeping their horses (and people and pets) free from disease. We have also developed strategies to help eradicate infectious disease from farms even after certain diseases have become endemic. Our practical, pragmatic approach helps our clients achieve excellent results.