Dr. Steve O’Grady was a professional farrier for ten years prior to obtaining his degree in veterinary medicine. He learned the farrier trade through a formal three-year apprenticeship under legendary farrier, Joseph M. Pierce, of West Chester, Pennsylvania. He then returned to study at Haverford College and went on to graduate from the University of Pretoria, Faculty of Veterinary Science in South Africa with his DVM Degree in 1981. After veterinary school, Dr. O’Grady completed a year-long internship in Cape Town, South Africa, and then returned to the U.S. to work at Georgetown Equine Hospital in Charlottesville, Virginia. Following 10 years of experience with that hospital, he started Northern Virginia Equine in Marshall, Virginia, and in 2014, he moved back to Keswick, Virginia, to open Virginia Therapeutic Farriery. Both are referral practices devoted to foot disease and equine therapeutic farriery.
Dr. O’Grady combines his skills as a veterinarian and a farrier to better understand and treat problems of the foot. He has published over 30 peer-reviewed papers in veterinary literature, numerous papers in farrier literature, written 18 book chapters and edited two editions of Veterinary Clinics of North America on equine podiatry and therapeutic farriery. In 2003, he was inducted into the International Equine Veterinarians Hall of Fame, and in 2009 he received the American Association of Equine Practitioners President’s Award for his work in farrier education. In 2019, he was awarded the coveted gold medal from the South African Veterinary Association.
Dr. O’Grady first joined Palm Beach Equine Clinic during the 2015 winter season as a consultant in therapeutic farriery. Dr. O’Grady’s unique services, due to his over 40 years of farriery experience, is available to veterinarians and farriers on a consultation basis. Dr. O’Grady is also available to provide a second opinion on lameness cases involving the feet, complicated farriery cases, and farriery issues related to radiographs acquired during pre-purchase examinations.
Seminars and clinics on various farriery topics of interest are periodically held at Palm Beach Equine Clinic during the winter show season.
For more information on Dr. O’Grady, please visit www.EquiPodiatry.com.
News Featuring Dr. Steve O’Grady
- Bare It All: How Top Sport Horses Are Competing Without Shoes, Horse Network
- Put Your Best Foot Forward: How to Keep Horses’ Hooves Strong Through Summer, The Plaid Horse
- Dr. Stephen O’Grady Receives AAEP’s Distinguished Educator Award for Mentorship
- TheHorse Magazine Articles by Stephen E. O’Grady, DVM, MRCVS
- Compiled Articles, Research and References by Dr. O’Grady
- American’s Farrier Journal Articles by Dr. O’Grady
- Common Hoof Problems, US Equestrian (USEF)
- Hoof it! The golden rules of good farrier care
- Where’s The Windmill? Wooden Shoes Helping Horses Recover From Laminitis, Paulick Report
- Special AAEP Convention Episode of Disease Du Jour Podcast – Lameness in the Equine Foot
Research by and in Collaboration with Dr. Steve O’Grady
Click here for an extensive list of compiled articles, research and references by Dr. O’Grady.