Dr. Jorge Gomez graduated from the University of Caldas in Colombia. He practiced equine veterinary medicine in Colombia for 14 years before completing his Masters Degree and Surgical Residency in Biomedical Sciences and Surgery at Auburn University. After completing his residency, Dr. Gomez became a Clinical Instructor in Equine Surgery. In 2004 he received Diplomate status in the American College of Veterinary Surgeons.
Dr. Gomez joined Hagyard Equine Medical Institute in 2005 as a staff surgeon and sport horse veterinarian. In 2010, Dr. Gomez and his family relocated to Wellington, Florida, where he then joined Palm Beach Equine Clinic in the same capacity.
Dr. Gomez has participated as a speaker at many national and international conferences, such as the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Equine Practitioners.
Dr. Gomez authored two book chapters and several papers on lameness and surgery that have been published in equine veterinary journals.
News Featuring Dr. Jorge Gomez
Publications by and in collaboration with Dr. Jorge Gomez
- Foaling Rates After Surgical Repair of Ventral Cervical Lacerations Using a Trendelenburg Position in 18 Anesthetized Mares, The American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Veterinary Surgery, Volume 42, Issue 6, August 2013, Pages 716-720
- How to Use a Foley Catheter to Treat Foals for Guttural Pouch Tympany, American Association of Equine Practitioners Proceedings, Volume 56, 2010, Pages 173-175
- How to Repair Cranial Vaginal and Caudal Uterine Tears in Mares, American Association of Equine Practitioners Proceedings, Volume 54, 2008, Pages 295-297
- Standing surgical removal of inspissated guttural pouch exudate (chondroids) in ten horses, The American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Veterinary Surgery, Volume 35, Issue 7, October 2006, Pages 658-662
- Standing hand-assisted laparoscopic ovariectomy in 65 mares, The American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Veterinary Surgery, Volume 35, Issue 7, October 2006, Pages 658-662
- Use of dressings and bandages in equine wound management, Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice, Volume 21, Issue 1, April 2005, Pages 91-104
- Effects of 3 biologic dressings on healing of cutaneous wounds on the limbs of horses, The Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, Volume 68, Issue 1, January 2004, Pages 49-55