Dr. Sarah Puchalski is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Radiology whose specialty includes the interpretation of radiographs in addition to other diagnostic imaging techniques.
Dr. Puchalski is from Davis, CA, where she was an associate professor at the University of California in their Department of Surgical and Radiological Sciences. In 1995, she received her BSc in Biology from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and in 1999 earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, where she received the ACVS Outstanding Large Animal Surgery Student award that same year. Dr. Puchalski interned in Field Service and Sports Medicine at New Bolton Center at the University of Pennsylvania in 2001, and completed her residency in radiology at UC Davis in 2005.
Dr. Puchalski has devoted her career to teaching and improving equine health through the development and refinement of diagnostic techniques. In 2011 she contributed to two books on the topic of equine lameness. Her recent contributions include chapters in Diagnosis and Management of Lameness in the Horse edited by Ross and Dyson, as well as in Veterinary Computed Tomography and the Clinical Veterinary Advisor: The Horse, Equine Colic and Veterinary Clinics of North America.
She also has contributed to numerous scientific articles concerning the diagnosis of equine lameness to many periodic journals, including Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound: the official journal of the American College of Veterinary Radiology and the International Veterinary Radiology Association; Veterinary Pathology; Equine Veterinary Journal; the American Journal of Veterinary Research; Equine Veterinary Education; Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association; and Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
In 2013, she started Puchalski Equine Inc. and is based in Petaluma, California at Circle Oak Ranch and in Wellington, Florida during the Winter Equestrian Festival. Sarah is an avid show jumper competing in the amateur owner divisions.
News Featuring Dr. Sarah Puchalski
- Ride Along With A Veterinarian—Dr. Sarah Puchalski | Equine MRI
- Amateurs Like Us: Patience Paid Off For Veterinarian Sarah Puchalski
- Bringing High Tech To Horse Health
Publications by and in collaboration with Dr. Sarah Puchalski
- Arthroscopic approach and intra‐articular anatomy of the equine atlanto‐occipital joint, Veterinary Surgery, July 2018, Volume 47, Issue 6
- Multiple intravenous injections of allogeneic equine mesenchymal stem cells do not induce a systemic inflammatory response but do alter lymphocyte subsets in healthy horses, Stem Cell Research and Therapy, April 2015, Volume 6, Issue 1, Page 73
- Use of digital abdominal radiography for the diagnosis of enterolithiasis in equids: 238 cases (2008-2011), Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, July 2014, Volume 245, Pages 126-129
- Clinical, radiographic, ultrasonographic and computed tomographic Features of non-septic Osteitis of the axial Border of the proximal Sesamoid Bones, Equine Veterinary Journal, July 2013, Volume 46, Issue 4
- Contrast-enhanced computed tomographic evaluation of the deep digital flexor tendon in the equine foot compared to macroscopic and histological findings in 23 limbs, Equine Veterinary Journal, July 2013, Volume 46, Issue 3
- Prevalence of abnormal radiographic findings in 2-year-old Thoroughbreds at in-training sales and associations with racing performance, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, April 2013, Volume 242, Issue 7, Pages 969-976