In The News
Palm Beach Equine Clinic offers a broad array of reproductive and fertility services for stallions and mares, available at the equine hospital or in the barn. With expert care and advanced practices, Palm Beach Equine Clinic maximizes the likelihood of a successful pregnancy. As the process of breeding sport horses is ever changing, Palm Beach Equine Clinic proudly offers clients modern reproductive services to produce the talent of the future.
Palm Beach Equine Clinic is equipped with a covered breeding shed that boasts a hydraulic phantom mare. A Computer Assisted Sperm Analyzer (CASA) system provides thorough evaluation and quality control of a stallion’s sperm, allowing veterinarians to assess sperm motility, concentration level, morphology, vitality, DNA fragmentation and acrosome reaction. Palm Beach Equine Clinic is equipped with expert, compassionate veterinarians to accommodate all equine reproductive needs.
Palm Beach Equine Clinic veterinarians Dr. Robert Smith and Dr. Katie Atwood concentrate on reproductive management and fertility services and are available to discuss your individual horse’s breeding options.
At Palm Beach Equine Clinic, care of stallions is conducted by competent horse handlers. A breeding soundness exam is performed to begin and proper management throughout the process can significantly improve fertility. The following stallion reproductive services are offered.
- Stallion breeding soundness exam and management
- Treatment of stallion infertility
- Training stallions for collection with the phantom mare
- Semen collection and evaluation
- Semen freezing, processing storage and shipping
- Reproductive pre-purchase exams
- Semen collection and freezing from castrated or deceased stallions
There are many factors involved in proper management of mares regarding reproduction and fertility. Utilizing proper diagnostics and laboratory technology, a mare’s fertility can be fully assessed and chances of successful conception and gestation can be maximized. Horses are seasonally polyestrous and the veterinarian will examine the mare to ensure they are cycling properly. The following mare reproductive services are offered.
- Mare breeding soundness exam and management
- Uterine culture, cytology, biopsy and hysteroscopy
- Artificial insemination with fresh, chilled or frozen semen
- Problem mare breeding and infertility evaluations
- Treatment of mare infertility
- Pregnancy diagnosis and management
- High risk pregnancy management
- Parturition management
- Post-partum management
- Collecting ova from a deceased mare
Modern medical advances in reproduction allow mares to be breed at an ideal younger age without interrupting their competition or training schedule through embryo transfer. Embryo transfer is commonly employed for mares that need to be available for competition, those with health issues that prevent them from foaling, or for mares that need to produce several foals in a season.
The following steps are taken in an embryo transfer:
- The donor mare and stallion, who hold the genetics of the future foal, are bred through artificial insemination.
- After the seventh or eighth day of pregnancy, the donor mare is ready for the embryo flush procedure.
- A lavage of the donor mare’s uterus is performed where the fluid and embryo pass through a tubing and embryonic filter system to collect the embryo.
- The embryo is identified under microscope and stored in an enriched medium until time of transfer.
- A recipient mare is chosen based on reproductive soundness and synchrony with the donor mare’s reproductive cycle.
- The embryo is transferred to the recipient mare’s uterus at Palm Beach Equine Clinic or shipped to the client’s preferred breeding facility where the surrogate mare is implanted with the embryo.
- The surrogate mare is checked for pregnancy when the embryo is 14 days old or 6-7 days after the embryo transfer. The surrogate mare is diagnosed as pregnant at 35 days gestation and carries the foal to term.
Interested in Breeding Your Horse?
Contact Palm Beach Equine Clinic for Reproduction and Fertility Services